Thursday, August 02, 2012

Homemade Pizza Pops! (Or Calzones, whichever you prefer)


So I had some left over pizza dough (see my last blog post for the dough recipe) and figured I could try to make some calzone. The trick was going to be how to cook the dough on the inside of the pocket.

I stretched out my leftover dough (after 2 days in the fridge it responded pretty well) on an oiled counter top, then threw in whatever ingredients I had laying around (pizza sauce, onions, green peppers, pepperoni and some taco meat). I folded over the dough and pinched the edges to keep it closed.

To cook it, I turned on the oven to 425 degrees, while heating up a frying pan on medium-high heat. Once hot, I threw in some olive oil and placed my calzone into the hot pan to cook the bottom. After 3-4 minutes the bottom was light brown in colour, so I flipped it over carefully and did the same on the other side. Once the top was light brown, I put the calzone into the oven for about 12 minutes.

They were fantastic! Crispy on the outside and cooked to perfection on the inside. Just like a pizza pop, the contents on the inside were incredibly hot. I would recommend cutting them in half to let the contents cool down before attempting to eat them.

You could really customize this dish with any types of food that you like. Chicken, beef, pork, vegetarian – they would all work. I’m even thinking of trying a chicken curry calzone the next time…

Below are some pictures from my first time experimenting with this dish. It is sure to become a favourite in our household.




No comments:

Post a Comment